Job Recruitment Website - Immigration policy - The organizational history of Hualien

The organizational history of Hualien

The original name of Hualien City is "Qi Lai", which is the name of the local area by the Ami people. The Han immigrants call it "Hui Lan" because the entrance of Hualien Creek is agitated by the waves and circuitous, so it is called Hui Lan. Lan. During the Tongzhi period of the Qing Dynasty, it was renamed Hualien with its homophonic pronunciation. In the fourth year of the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty, the city was established and was called Xingang Street. After the liberation of Taiwan, Hualien City was established in 1946 and became the seat of Hualien County.

The city was originally an inhabited area of ??the Ami people. In the first year of Xianfeng in the Qing Dynasty, Huang Afeng, a Taipei native, recruited more than 2,000 people and settled near Fengchuan in the city by sea to engage in reclamation. During the Tongzhi period of the Qing Dynasty, when the back mountain was vigorously developed, the road from Yilan Suao to here was opened. The road is 5 feet wide and 206 miles long. Since then, more and more settlers have settled here. In the sixth year of the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty (1880), the Hualien Reclamation Bureau was established here, and in the thirteenth year of the reign of Emperor Guangxu (1887), the Hualien Hall was established. During the Japanese occupation, there was a plan to set up an agricultural area here, but it came to nothing because the Japanese immigrants were not acclimatized to the climate. At the beginning of Taiwan's liberation, Hualien City was one of only two county-governed cities in Taiwan Province at that time.