Job Recruitment Website - Immigration policy - Inhabitants of Ryukyu Island

Inhabitants of Ryukyu Island

Most of the residents of Ryukyu Island belong to southern Fujian, and most of them have the surnames Chen and Hong. Since most of the residents are engaged in offshore production, most of them believe in Poseidon in order to seek peace. The Biyun Temple located in the center of the island was built in the fourth year of the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty (1878). Its architectural structure imitates the Mazu Temple in southern Fujian. The temple is dedicated to Guanyin Buddha and is the most popular temple on the island. In addition, in recent years, a large-scale and majestic Lingshan Temple has been built on the island. However, neither Poseidon nor Guanyin Buddha made everything go well for the residents of Ryukyu Island. Every year, fishing boats go out to sea to fish, and shipwrecks occur from time to time. If residents suffer from acute illness, they must cross the sea to the main island of Taiwan for medical treatment. In 1980, submarine cables brought electricity to the island, and in 1981, submarine conduits brought fresh water to people. Nowadays, many people have access to televisions and refrigerators. Rice cookers, washing machines, etc. There is one middle school and four primary schools on the island. Most of the young fishermen are no longer illiterate like the older generation.